Friday, June 18, 2010

Spooky

First night here, and it's a little bit spooky.

There is no one living in the townhouses on either side of me. I turned the TV off so I could work a little bit on an article I want to sell to the local paper about the new renovations on the local diner (just couldn't help myself. It's the kind of story a town like this would love.) but it was so quiet. Too quiet.

I'm used to some kind of noise. Cars, people, something. Our nice big apartment in the city was never totally quiet. If the neighbors were home, I could hear music and if they weren't, there was traffic.

There's nothing here. Everyone is home and in bed. There's no cars going by, nothing. Just the hum of my fridge and the sound of the central heat/air unit kicking on. That's it.

It's spooking me so I've gotta turn the TV on. I'll find something boring, like an infomercial or C-SPAN and just have it as background noise without being distracted. I think that'll help.

I haven't hooked up my radio yet. I was going to put it downstairs in the living room, but I think that at least for tonight, it's going to be plugged in next to my bed. I won't be able to sleep in quiet like this.

And every creak and sound the place makes as it settles is spooking me even more. Maybe I should have taken Melissa and Jennifer up on their offer to stay over. But I wanted to be on my own.

Oh well! I'll get used to it!

0 comments:

 

Copyright © 2010 DanaKara