Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bad Times

So, I've been neglecting this journal for a while. I'll try to be better about writing.

To be honest though, I have a good excuse. My mom has been in the hospital.

She came to see me and we were having a good visit. We decided to camp out in the living room and she was trying to be helpful, so she headed upstairs to get a couple of pillows and blankets out of the closet.

She brought the blankets down fine and went back to get the pillows. She only had two but as she was coming down she fell down the stairs. She came tumbling down like a ball, slammed into the closet door at the foot of the stairs, and then somehow fell off the step down into the living room.

I had to call an ambulance to come and get her and a taxi for me. Ended up that they never showed - I guess they couldn't understand English? - and I had to call Jennifer. (Though when I got back, I found out from the neighbors that the taxi had indeed finally shown up and the guy had been standing there cussing my door out in Spanish!)

I was questioned at the hospital by the police. Since I hadn't been right with her, the doctors had called them on suspicions of some kind of fight. They said it was more like mom had been thrown down the stairs.

She had two broken toes, her ankle was fractured, a hairline fracture in her leg, two cracked ribs, her shoulder was out of place, and she had a concussion.

I explained that she'd fallen and how and they stopped questioning me.

Mom woke up finally and they questioned her too but she confirmed my story. When she was moved to her own room she told Jennifer and me that it had seemed as though the stairs were wet. She said that it felt like something had grabbed hold of her ankle to trip her, then gave her a good shove when she caught her balance on the railing. She dismissed it as her being silly.

So that's where I've been, at mom's looking after her. She's doing much better and isn't needing me now. She doesn't have any stairs to worry about really and she can get around fine. She has promised to call me if she needs something, or to call Jennifer or Melissa if she can't reach me. Nothing was life-threatening or extremely serious, just painful.

Jennifer seems disturbed by the incident, but she isn't really saying anything. I know she was thinking something really had pushed mom but why would anything do that?

1 comments:

Arista Holmes said...

Oh! that's awful! I hope you mum feels better soon.

 

Copyright © 2010 DanaKara